Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hermana Peterson 1st P-day 3-5-13


Hola Familia!
Side note, I want to type a lot of this in Spanish and keep translating it in my head, but I don't know how to add accents or anything, so I'm trying hard not to haha!
I fought hard for this computer so that I could send pictures, so I hope they come through! I don't know what order they are in...
Anyways, I absolutely love the MTC (the CCM in Spanish.) I can't put into words what it's like. After I got set apart on Sunday night, I was just really calm. Most of my worries had been put aside, and I wasn't even nervous to get on the plane to fly up here. I just wanted to get here! I can't believe I'm a missionary! Our first day, I got here around 2, and put my luggage in my room and then went to my classroom to meet my district. The rest of the first day is kind of a blur for me, but our teacher Hermano Byrd is incredible. He's so patient, and we've gotten to the point where we're only speaking Spanish in class. It's hard, but I testify that the gift of tongues is real! I know Spanish better now than I did after 2 years of it in high school. Our investigator is Ruby, and we have taught her 3 lessons in Spanish. The second lesson, we were teaching her about prayer and I pulled out my scriptures to Moroni 10:4-5 and was reading it out loud to her, and I had testimony born to me that Christ IS our Savior and that we can go to Him for anything. I started crying, and knew that I was going to be okay as a missionary. The Lord is mindful of me, and is going to bless me if I do my part.
Long story short, I am in a trio companionship. One of the sisters, Hermana Berbert got moved up to a higher Spanish class so her companion Hermana Taylor got added to my companionship. My first companion is Hermana Harris... and not lying, she is MEAGAN. Everything she does, reminds me of Meagan haha the way she talks, the way she laughs, and she even looks like her. Haha it catches me off guard all the time, but I love it. She has been the perfect first companion for me. Our other companion, Hermana Taylor is awesome too. I don't know a ton about her, but I think her background might have been a little rough. She's pretty quiet so it's hard to teach while including her sometimes, because Hermana Harris and I both love to talk. But, it's all good. It's not easy, but I know there is a reason for it. I love them both like sisters, so much. It's amazing how close you can get to something when you're forced to be with them 24/7 :) In our district there are 5 hermanas and 4 elders. WE are in district 17E. We set a record in our zone for being the first ones with more hermanas than elders! The other 2 hermanas, Hermana Garlitz and Hermana Kepler are going to Nashville! Jennifer look out for them please. I know they are speaking Spanish, but still, if you see them, love them. They are amazing!!
I am totally baffled by how much closer I have gotten to my Savior since being here. Everyone says it, but it's really true. I love Him more than I thought possible, and am so grateful!
The mission is hard business people! It's a good hard though. My appreciation goes up for all the missionaries in the world, and I wish I would've helped out more. Also, letters are amazing. When our elders come back after lunch with mail, it's the greatest thing ever. Please write! Dear Elder is amazing too. Mom if you or Bekah could put instructions out there for everyone, that'd be awesome! Thanks to those who have written, each letter has meant the world to me. I'll do my best to write back, but seriously the time is so limited here. I thought I would be under 30 minutes easily. Haha so hard!
I miss and love you all so much. I really started to miss you, especially mom on Sunday when our branch president's wife, Sister Bradley, hugged me. I am so appreciative for all that you have taught me; the gospel, how to clean and do laundry, how to just do everything. Thanks Mom and Dad. You are both missed so much, and in my prayers every night.
I'm going to write a few letters after this, so there will be more, don't worry. I just can't believe I've already been here for a week tomorrow. What they say is true, if you can make it to Sunday, you can make it. I've had plenty of my hard moments, but I know that if I trust in and rely on my Savior, He can use me to accomplish things. It's Him that makes things possible, not me.
Sunday was quite possibly the best day of my life. It was so powerful on so many levels. We watched the Character of Christ by Elder Bednar (the same talk I used in my farewell talk, except the version I found online is only semi close to the real one.) I'll leave you with one quote from his talk that really impacted me.
"Get over yourself, get out of the way, and stop worrying about things going your way." My mission isn't about ME. It's about my Savior Jesus Christ, and helping others come unto Him to be converted.
I'm sorry for the all over the placeness of this email. I can already bear my testimony in Spanish, say my prayers in Spanish, and quite a bit else in Spanish.
The gift of tongues is real, I know it. I probably won't use this computer in the laundry room anymore to write emails, so you might not get more pictures until I'm in Chile. It's super loud so I don't feel like I'm able to think in here...

Yo se que Jesucristo es el Salvador. Yo se que el libro de Mormon es la palabra de Dios. Yo se que mi Redentor vive!
I know what Jake was talking about know, that he hates typing. It's so dumb. Haha
Well, that's all for now. Sorry for any grammer or spelling errors, I was trying to type fast.
I love you all and am so grateful for your love, and family, I'm grateful I get to be with you forever :)
Happy late birthday to Leah on Sunday! I hope your birthday was wonderful, beautiful girl!! :) A letter is on it's way!!
Happy birthday to Josh, Anavey, McKenzi, Brian, and Burgandy this week! Make em' good!
Love,
Hermana Peterson :)



My companions Hermana Taylor and Hermana Harris in front of Provo Temple
My room my first night Hermanas...Taylor, Harris,
Garlitz, Berbert, Kepler and ME


My District
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment