Tuesday, June 25, 2013

6/24/13 Hermana Peterson

Remember when I said that I could live somewhere with rain all the time? I TAKE IT BACK. I take it ALL back. I love the rain, but working in it is the dumps. It´s horrible. haha this week (luckily) we only had rain one day, but it rained TONS. My outfits for rainy days are a joke. I´ve got like 7 jackets on, my rain jacket, my boots, etc. But anyways, my companion and I were mostly dry until at like 9 o´clock, a car drove by. I´m not lying when I got DRENCHED with a WALL of water haha HEAD TO TOE. In my boots, down my jacket, todo. My armpits were probably the only part of my body that were dry. BUT, life is good. I wouldn´t change ANYTHING for everything. I LOVE my mission with all of my heart. Easily, it´s the best decision I´ve ever made!
She has to put bags on her feet to help keep her feet dry

So this week...

1. I realized that I forgot a birthday shout out to the one and only BRYSON, who now has the priesthood! How cool. I hope your day was fantastic Bry. I love you! Also, birthday shout out to Carter! I love you and hope your day was great too!

2. So I keep forgetting to tell these stories, but they crack me up. So about 4 or 5 weeks ago, Hma Oldroyd and I were waiting in a really long line for the bathroom. I was probably 2 people out, and a mom came in with her little boy (probably 4), picked him up, dropped his drawers, and he went in the sink. In the bathroom. Sick right? Ewe. And this next one is even better. 2 weeks ago, we were walking around in Concepción and this guy dropped his drawers, said permiso (which is like excuse me) and peed on the front door of someone´s house. Hahahahahaha we laughed for probably 20 minutes. Gotta love Conce :)

3. What is Jennifer´s address?

4. What mission are Tyleah Windsor and Luke Tingey going to? My companion is from Guatemala and I want to tell her to be on the look out for them if they´ll be in her mission!

5. So, I forgot to tell you too, but a few weeks ago, we had a tiny earthquake. They actually happen ALL the time, and they throw me off guard because my whole body is shaking. Not violently, just a little haha it´s totally a weird sensation! But just so you know, I´ve been in an earthquake. I know, I´m pretty cool :)

6. Can you get the Watt´s brand of nectar in the United States? I have mixed feelings about if you can or not... if you can, then it´s awesome because this is the kind they drink here and then I can drink it for the rest of my life, but I kind of don´t want you to be able to get it, because I want to bring some home for you to try. Anyways, if you can get it, get the peach kind because I could drink a whole liter in 5 minutes. SO GOOD!

7. How are the temples coming along in Arizona? Any super close to dedication?

8. The stake patriarch spoke on Sunday, and I felt impressed to say again that Rebekah, Leah, and even Seth need to start thinking about getting your Patriarchal blessings. You will be forever blessed by this and grateful that you have this! I read mine all the time, and receive different inspiration for my life, and find great comfort in my patriarchal blessing. Any of my sweet cousins that are a little bit older and don´t have theirs yet should start thinking about theirs too! 

9. I won´t go into much detail about this, but we watched a dog get hit by a car yesterday and survive. It was a little bit scary. Moral of the story, look both ways before you cross the street.

10. Drummmmmmmmmmmmrollllllllllllllllllllllll please...... Happy Birthday to my dear, sweet, thoughtful, funny, beautiful, patient, charitable, nice, cool, clean, supportive, loving, fantastic, talented, inspired, pretty, young, simple, virtuous, and best MOM EVER. 20 years young, and I am more than ever grateful for you in my life! I had a pretty special experience with the scriptures and you a few days ago... it´s in my journal that´s on it´s way. I´ll leave you hanging :) But. thank you for EVERYTHING that you´ve done, that you do, that you are doing, and will do for me. I couldn´t have asked for or picked a better mom if I could´ve! Thank you for raising me the way you did. Because of this, I have the foundation and the testimony that I do today, and you are blessing people here in Chile! I am grateful that everyday I see myself becoming more like you. I love you mom, and hope that Dad spoils you like crazy on your birthday! :) I´m still learning Happy birthday in Spanish or I´d type it haha

I´m just a ball of energy right now! Okay, probably the best information I´ve heard in my life. HENRI IS GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY, AND I GET TO GO!!!! I talked with President Humphrey today and he said, "I don´t see a problem with you going back for his baptism!" My first baptism. The first person that I´ve helped bring unto Christ. I cannot even tell you how happy it is. Another one of Christ children is coming to Him!! I talked to Hermana Oldroyd about it today, and she said that on Saturday he had his interview with Elder Brown. Saturday, he smoked one and so they didn´t know if it was going to work, but Elder Brown said he wanted to interview him anyway. During the interview, Hermana Oldroyd said they could hear everything in the other room, and Henri said that every time he wants to smoke and he sees a cigarette, that he thinks of all that Hermana Oldroyd and I have done for him, and he doesn´t want to do it anymore. Hermana Oldroyd talked to him a little bit ago, and he hasn´t smoked since. He went to church yesterday, and he´s ready. PLEASE keep him in your prayers, that he can keep strong and be a strong addition to the church. He´s amazing, and we know he will do great things, but these next few days especially, he´s going to need extra help. Please, please, please! He doesn´t know I´m going to the baptism either! I´m just going to show up :) AH, so so so so happy! 
Henri!

We said bye to President and Hermana Humphrey today, which was super super sad. Hermana Humphrey started to cry when she hugged me and told me that I´m one of her favorites. She told me that she knows I was prepared before this life to come here, and that I am going to do so much good in the mission. What a BOLD statement. I´m doing my best to live up to that, and be the person that my Savior knows I can be. I do know however that without my Savior, I am nothing. It´s easy to forget that all that we do is because of him, but I know that if we can all keep this perspective, that we are nothing without him, we will be able to do much good in this life. Hermana Humphrey then told me to keep in touch, and just kept saying over and over that I´m going to do much good in this mission. She told me that she loves me so so much and then she told me "If I had a son your age, you´d be my daughter-in-law." Oh Hermana Humphrey... For me it´s weird because she doesn´t really know me and I don´t really know her, but we hit it off 2 months ago. I know we were friends in Heaven! I didn´t know there were going to be this many goodbyes as a missionary. It´s not fun I´m sure going to miss her, but you better believe I´m going to keep in touch with them!

Okay, the moment you´ve all been waiting for... How is Talcahuano? How is my companion? How is everything? Well let me tell you something. Talcahuano is absolutely incredible. Absolutely incredible! I love everything about it!! It´s a richer area than Lirquen, the majority of the people have cars, and there are no stairs. It is completely flat, but it´s a pretty big area. We´re in Independencia which is a suburb of Talcahuano. My companion, Hermana Urizar is from Guatemala, and she only has 7 weeks left in the mission. I love her so much. She is so patient with me, and she has helped me a TON with my Spanish. Having a Latin companion is such a blessing! She doesn´t speak English, which is sometimes a little frustrating if I don´t know the words to get my point across, but she is so eager to correct me or help me and I love her for it! Bless her heart, she´s been sick this whole week, but I think for the most part she feels better, so we´re going to crank things out. Turns out, she only had one more week in Independencia before me, so we opened the area. The first day or two were super hard because we had no clue where we were going, but now we´ve both got a pretty good grip on the sector. I´ve got 7 weeks to learn the sector, become best friends with the members, and become fluent so that I can teach the sector to someone else. Great... Just kidding. I´m so so pumped right now! But, something crazy. So I´m in a zone of 12, and only Elder Blomfield and I are from the Mission Concepción. Everyone else is from Concepción South. BUT, something I didn´t know is that right now, technically I´m part of Concepción South until next week. So, I´ve technically served in 2 different missions at this point! Next week, Talcahuano is officially a part of the Mission Concepción! But, we received 4 hermanas from Concepción South and ALL 4 finish their missions at the end of this transfer. Poquito fome. President Humphrey told me today, and they needed to send me down to help implement our mission to the missionaries coming up from the South mission. There are SO SO many differences! But, another crazy thing is that 8 of the 12 of us in Zona Talcahuano North finish their missions in the next 2 transfers. At the end of this transfer, my companion, both of our zone leaders, and my district leader all finish. At the end of the next transfer, 3 or 4 others finish. So basically, we´re white washing the zone. I feel so much pressure to implement all that I can in the next few weeks in preparation for switching missions and getting a new president. But, I feel super humble that President was inspired to send me down to do this. Only 5 of us from Concepción are in Talcahuano. We´re getting all of Talcahuano (2 zones) added to our mission. Our ward is INCREDIBLE! Our ward mission leader is a recently returned missionary of 2 or 3 years from the mission Rancagua and he´s awesome. He knows what missionary work is all about! He met with us on Sunday and laid out his plans, gave us names of old investigators, and he´s going to help us get this ward excited about missionary work. The broadcast last night was such a help too! I´m so so pumped! The ward is so willing to help too! There is a guy that is 22 that we´re trying to get on a mission, and there are SO many that want to help! We are going to do so much good here, through guidance and help from our Heavenly Father! One of the guys in our ward is a returned missionary from WASHINGTON D.C. NORTH!! He´s awesome too, and his wife is from Mexico. What are the chances?! I showed him the blog last night, so he´s going to keep tabs on the areas where Jake is and see if he knows anyone. Jake sent a picture a few days ago of a brother Armstrong and last night Roberto showed me a picture with the SAME MAN. So weird haha but it´s crazy! We have tons of investigators who attend church all the time, but NONE of them have baptismal dates. We think that the mission Concepcion South works a little differently with baptisms, so we´re going to try to put fechas with all of them. We´ve also got some great plans to work with the menos activos, members, and really retain the converts!
Well that´s all I´ve got time for. Pictures are coming. All in all, I love my area, I love my companion, I love being a missionary, and I love my Savior. This is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH ON THE EARTH. Be a member missionary. Share this with everyone you meet!

Love,
Hermana Peterson

p.s. Sorry my brain is kind of all over the place today. It was a long morning... if I wasn´t specific about something specific, tell me and I´ll fix it next week!  I LOVE YOU!

p.s.s I saw Elder Layton today too!! Crazy stuff.
Elder Hyrum Layton who went to high school with Hannah!
 
Hermanas Mena and Mendoza

The Bishop and his family

Mandi and Miriam (with the hat)
 
The murals in Lirquen are crazy - this is my favorite!
Part of the Cortez Family - Sariah leaves for her mission
to Brazil in August!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment