Wednesday, August 7, 2013

8/7/13 Elder Peterson - Communication is key!!


Opening up his birthday box...he had a hard time waiting!

Sorry this is blurry, and not sure what the red line is all about
Great snacks!
 
Brother Armstrong came to wish me a happy birthday. He's the man!!
 
Well, this is Elder Peterson....again. I hope you aren't getting sick and tired of hearing from me. But I am going to keep writing every week even if you are.
 
So this week has been pretty crazy. And I mean it. I don't know where to start but I am going to just start. So I have a crazy testimony building experience that I would like to share. 

So for the first time in my mission...we were able to go on splits with a member of the ward. We have had many opportunities for members to come with us to lessons but not like we did. Bro. Ellison was his name and I was able to go with him while Elder Manning and Elder Moss stayed together. Bro. Ellison and I went out and checked on one of his home teaching families and then a less active of the ward. She wasn't home and we were walking back to his car. There were two ladies sitting on their porch and I had the impression to talk with them. So we did...and it was awesome. Turns out the lady we talked to the most was from Jamaica and was just visiting family for a few weeks. We asked if we could stop by sometime and share a message about Christ with her and she said yes. So the next week we stopped by and talked with her about the Plan of Salvation. We were able to answer some life long questions that she has had about the afterlife. It was a very spiritual experience. We are actually meeting with her again tonight. I know that it is so important to share the Gospel with EVERYONE! Even if it might be awkward. 

Alright another amazing experience. We got a phone call from some Sisters in the Baltimore Mission. They had an investigator who just moved down into our area and they wanted us to come by and keep teaching them.  They are having a lot of struggles in their lives right now and the Sisters in Baltimore wanted us to take really good care of them. We are really excited to help them out the best that we can. Heather is her name and Travis is her boyfriend and they have 3 kids. They are in a big need of the Gospel. It is amazing to talk with them and see how the gospel is really changing her life especially. We have a lot of work to do with them but I know that the Spirit will be able to touch their lives and they will be happy. 

So even though this past week has been pretty awesome, our companionship was having a few struggles with getting along and things were getting a little contentious. It is amazing what talking about it can do. We are doing a lot better now. If there is one thing that I have learned on my mission it is COMMUNICATION. I suck at it, as you all know, but I am getting better at it. 

Mom, thank you for always printing out Hannah's letters. It is great to have time to read them. Also, thanks for always keeping me updated on stuff. I love hearing about all the crazy things that are happening in Arizona. 
 
Well, that's about it for me this week. I know that the church is true and I know that this is the Lord's work. I am so grateful to be a missionary in the Washington D.C. North Mission.

I love you all!!!
Elder Peterson
On the steps of the Lincoln Memorial (sorry my eyes are closed)

ARIZONA!!

Sunrise at the White House

A better shot of our trio


No comments:

Post a Comment