Monday, September 30, 2013

9/30/13 Hermana Peterson - The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!!

Last night, I survived 3 earthquakes. Pretty big ones. The middle one rang in at 5.9. People in the states would be freaking out...here it was like nothing had happened. It was definitely a little scary, but I know what to do now in case of an earthquake so don´t fear!!

First things first. Mom. Strawberries are coming into full delicious bloom here. Last week I bought half a kilo for a dollar. Word g-man. But, my companion and I were both hard core craving freezer jam. I don´t know if you could possibly send me that recipe so we could bust out some freezer jam, but if you could, we´d be a happy little missionaries.

The wind here is C.R.A.Z.Y. Most days we´re talking 60-70 hour mile winds. I don´t know if these things are projected on the weather channel or not, but it´s pretty insane. It´s still pretty cold, but I´m NOT complaining.  Last Monday we had like 70-75 degree weather here and the people were DYING. All week they talked about how hot it had been on Monday. I couldn´t help but laugh a little, because the hottest it gets here, in any part of my mission is like 90 TOPS. And that´s like death hahaha I didn´t know I would ever say this, but I´m really glad I was raised in Arizona. Don´t know if I´ll ever live here again, but I´m going to be able to withstand the heat like a boss!

So this week was a great one. We had some great lessons with Marcelo, Danay, and Marcelo and things are still looking up for Danay on the 12th. We´ve still got to teach the law of chastity this week, but other than that, they have ALL the lessons! They are a rock solid family that are going to bless the ward so much. All of the family of Marcelo are members, but completely inactive. They left the church when Marcelo was like 15, and his younger siblings were never baptized. BUT, since we´ve started teaching them, one of his brothers (Manuel) and his wife have shown interest, and one of his other brothers (Herman) and his wife who are both inactive have desires to come back. PLEASE keep this family in your prayers, that they can all become REALLY strong members in the church. It´s amazing to see the Lord working with and preparing his children to accept and come back to the Gospel. I´m almost done with my study of the Gospels (Mateo, Marcos, Lucas, y Juan), I still have a few chapters left in Luke and John, but this last week I read the chapter about the losts (sheep, coin, and prodigal son). The Lord is so interested in the salvation of all of his children, and will look for them until they come unto him! We have seen so many miracles with this family, and I know that they are in it for the long run!

We also were only able to find Natalie once this week, but she told us that she´s been reading the Book of Mormon and that she loves it. Last minute she had to leave town for work, so she wasn´t able to come to church, but she´s awesome too. Keep her in your prayers, and hopefully she´ll come to conference this next week!

We found a couple of really good new investigators this last week, but our return appointments were for this next week, so I´ll have more information then, but our efforts increased this last week, and so did everything else. It was an incredible week, and this next week is only going to be better!
So this last week, I received a letter from mom from Austin. It was such a powerful letter, and I have been thinking about it a ton. It really helped me to think about some things, and I´m really grateful my mom sent it to me. So I have been doing a lot of thinking, and a lot of studying this week. My mission has changed my life. Not just my mission, but my realization of what I´ve had for my whole life. I was blessed to be born into the Gospel, and I before my mission, I didn´t realize what I had. As much as it hurts to say it, I was more of a Sunday attender. I attended church on Sunday, read my scriptures here and there, but it wasn´t really until I was submersed in the Gospel as a missionary, and I took hold of what I´ve had my whole life and I´m repentant that I didn´t take hold of it sooner. I want to second that Elder Zimmerman said. I want to challenge everyone in the sight and sound of my email to listen to the missionaries. Even if you´re a member of the church, invite the missionaries over to teach. Help them improve, so that they can help more souls to come unto Christ. There isn´t a catch. Just invite them to your house, listen to the message that they have, and if you don´t like it, they don´t have to come back. In a world where religious freedoms and all sorts of other freedoms are dwindling, take advantage of the opportunities that we have. They message is simple. Jesus Christ lives and is our Savior. He came to the earth, to atone for our sins, because he wants us to have the opportunity to live with our Father in Heaven again.  Because our Father in Heaven love us and is never changing, he has restored his church back on the earth through his chosen prophet, Joseph Smith. Through Joseph Smith, we have the ability to have the SAME CHURCH that Jesus Christ had when he was on the earth. We have the Priesthood, we have the ability to be sealed with our families forever, and so much more. PLEASE, I invite you to listen to them. This Gospel has changed my life, but I too had to find out for myself. They have a book that is KEY to all. Take a copy, and read a little bit of it. If the book is true, this church is true. I know without a doubt and this church is true. And for this, I´m out here trying to help others have the Gospel in their lives. I will be forever grateful for this opportunity I have to serve. I LOVE Chile, and the people here. My ward is amazing, with members that are more than willing to help us out in this great cause. EVERY MEMBER IS A MISSIONARY. There is nothing scary or weird about our message, so don´t be afraid to share it. If you have fears, pray, because I know that our Father in Heaven listens. We are his children, and he wants to listen to us. I know this church is true. Find out for yourself. It´s worth it, I promise.

Get ready for Conference. We´re listening to Mormon Tabernacle Choir over here getting all excited. I´m so excited, I want to scream!! I´m loving this time of year. Write down questions and go to conference prayerfully, because they´ll be answered.

Peace, love, and earthquakes.
Hermana Peterson

At the beach..so glad my hair can fit in a side braid now!!

The ladybugs are different here


At the University of Concepcion
 
These murals are all over here in Chile

  At the Dinosaur Park 
 
p.s. we´re going to the zoo today, where the animals are separated from us by chain link fences. I´m going to try to pet the tiger. Wish my fingers luck :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment