Monday, February 24, 2014

2/24/14 Hermana Peterson - The Worst Pick-up Line Ever!!

¿Sus ojos son suyos? ¿Are your eyes yours´?  No, I´m renting them... Of course they're mine! Oh geez. Men these days.... Seth, Caleb, Elder Peterson, please don´t ever ask a girl if her eyes are hers.  I just have to laugh. It´s an everyday thing. 
 
Okay, Mom remember about 8 months ago, when Jake wrote you and apologized for not listening to you and learning how to play the piano? Remember how I laughed and laughed and laughed because it was so funny? Remember how now I´m eating my laughs. Mom AND Dad, I wish I would´ve listened to you when you told me to learn how to cook. I seriously have never felt so inadequate in my life. All of the other hermanas that I have EVER lived with know SO much more about the kitchen than I do. And it´s not like I don´t know what´s going on, I just feel SO out of place. NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO WANT TO MARRY ME!!!! Gosh. But, I came up with a plan of action. When I come home, I´m going to sleep in the kitchen. I´m going to eat, breathe, and live cooking. Oh man mom, I´m sorry. This is bad news. I knew there were more reasons why I´m on a mission... Also mom, you´re going to be so proud of me. This week, I was the one who ran out of toilet paper and I went and found more and put it where it needed to go. Thank you, thank you. 

Okay, this week I had some super spiritual personal moments. I testify that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers, but it is never on OUR time. It is ALWAYS on His time, and it will be when He knows we will need it most. So we have a lot of hermanas in our group that are struggling really bad. I´ve been praying and praying and praying and even fasting to know what it is that we can do to help them. The other day, we went to a members house and looked at their Ensigns and they had the November 2011 Conference edition. For about a week, I had been really wanting to read the talk by President Uchtdorf "Forget Me Not" and I finally could! They let me borrow it, and the next morning I was reading it and I got to the 4th point in his talk, "forget not the "why" of the gospel." I was blown away, and KNEW that this was my answer. I can´t describe what this meant to me. I have read this part over at least 2 times every day since. It´s amazing. I invite all of you to read the talk, members of the church or not. It seriously is an inspired talk and I know that it will bless all of your lives. I´ve even included the link and the section here, to make your life easier but please read the whole talk!  


Fourth, forget not the “why” of the gospel.

Sometimes, in the routine of our lives, we unintentionally overlook a vital aspect of the gospel of Jesus Christ, much as one might overlook a beautiful, delicate forget-me-not. In our diligent efforts to fulfill all of the duties and obligations we take on as members of the Church, we sometimes see the gospel as a long list of tasks that we must add to our already impossibly long to-do list, as a block of time that we must somehow fit into our busy schedules. We focus on what the Lord wants us to do and how we might do it, but we sometimes forget why.

My dear sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not an obligation; it is a pathway, marked by our loving Father in Heaven, leading to happiness and peace in this life and glory and inexpressible fulfillment in the life to come. The gospel is a light that penetrates mortality and illuminates the way before us.
While understanding the “what” and the “how” of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the “why.” When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet.

Let us not walk the path of discipleship with our eyes on the ground, thinking only of the tasks and obligations before us. Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us.
My dear sisters, seek out the majesty, the beauty, and the exhilarating joy of the “why” of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The “what” and “how” of obedience mark the way and keep us on the right path. The “why” of obedience sanctifies our actions, transforming the mundane into the majestic. It magnifies our small acts of obedience into holy acts of consecration.
boom. powerful. 

Anyways, to continue with the story, I told my companion about this and we came up with a plan of action. Later that day, our zone leaders called us to ask something and I suggested that they look for the talk and read that section because it´s amazing and we told them about a little of our plan. They looked it up, and their whole plan of action is based off of that part! They had been thinking a lot of the same things that week too. Then we had consejo (leadership counsel) today, and it was the SAME theme that we talked about and it was exactly what President and Hermana Arrington had learned about this past week in a conference with Elder Ballard. Everything we do needs to stem from our testimony of the Atonement and the love that we have for the Savior. It is the only way we will find joy in the journey. I LOVE my Savior and am so grateful for Him in my life. We, as members of the church have the responsibility to help others come unto HIM and no one else. We are members of the church of JESUS CHRIST of latter-day saints. I know our church is the SAME church that He had when He was here on the earth. In the bible it talks about how his church in the last days will bear his name. This is evidence enough of the message that we have. In the moments of my mission that I have progressed the most and found the most joy have been when I have had HIM closest to my heart. My heart should be one with the Atonement of Jesus Christ. There is NO OTHER WAY!!! Also, I invite you to read Luke 22, when Our Savior was in the Garden of Gethsemane. Develop your relationship with Him. It will be the greatest thing you´ve ever done!
I got an email from Catalina today and she´s doing so good! She said that she, many times, goes to church by herself but she doesn´t mind because she feels so good when she goes. It made me so happy to read that! Also, her boyfriend proposed to her so she´s making wedding plans! YAY! Hermana Miskin also told me that she had a mini cambio in Talcahuano a few weeks ago and they visited Marcelo and Danay and they are still strong!! YAY!!!! Please keep them all in your prayers! :) 

Also, I wasn´t going to say anything until after I knew for sure, but I´ve been thinking a lot about extending my mission. I didn´t know if it was something the Lord had in his plans for me, but it has been on my mind for about a week now. Well, today, I found out that since the World Cup will be being played in July and August, our plane tickets are already bought and the missionaries that are going home in July and August are not going to be able to extend. So, the Lord needs me back in Arizona in August for sure. I truly love this work. Nothing makes me happier than sharing the gospel with the people here in Chile. I have truly found where my heart belongs. I´m so glad the Lord knows all and is in charge of all :)
We had a rough week proselyting wise, lost a few days. BUT, we have awesome plans and we´re keepin on. Here´s to MARCH! What?!?! 

Welp, that´s a wrap. Word from Cauquenes. 
LOVE,
Hermana Peterson 

No comments:

Post a Comment