Monday, March 10, 2014

3/10/14 Hermana Peterson - LONG LIVE TALCAHUANO

So we had cambios. I´m headed out to Talcahuano. Not the same zone or area where I was, but about 8 minutes away! I´m still going to be an hermana leader, training Hermana Heslop to be a new hermana leader, and she´s from Draper Utah! We´re opening a sector too, but we´re going to be in a sector with 2 other hermanas and 2 elders. Amo Talcahuano.... Since the moment I left Talcahuano, I have prayed that if there were a way that I could go back to Talcahuano, that I could. I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayers, even if it´s not exactly what we´re expecting. BUT, I´m super happy for the change.  So, we´ll see what the Lord has in store for me in Talcahuano!
I got your valentine´s packages this last week. Dad, your valentine was super silly, but I LOVED IT. You were right, and mom, I did your valentine as soon as I got home, and Leah, in your Valentine, you said "Te amo muy," but it needs to be "Te amo mucho." Just so you know :) BUT thank you so much for the package! I loved it!
 
So this last week, we had a special conference with Elder Zeballos from the Seventy. It was such a good conference, and yes our musical number wasn´t a bust. Just from now on, I´m more than happy being behind the piano :) BUT, Elder Zeballos was talking about the importance of the Latinos learning English and us gringos keeping our Spanish alive when we get home. He said that if someone knows English and Spanish, they can communicate with 80% of the members of the church and that if they add Portuguese, they can speak to 90% of the members of the church. He did some other cool analysis things, and said that English is the language of the restoration because it is the language that the book of Mormon was translated into. He also told us that about 2 weeks ago, the first presidency okayed the revision of the book of Mormon in ALL LANGUAGES! Remember how this last year they did English? Well now they are going to do Spanish and all of the other languages!! Well, when he was talking, I had a pretty powerful experience with my Heavenly Father. I know that I need to pursue something with languages. If possible, I´d really like to learn Portuguese and work with some sort of translating, interpreting, I don´t know. I haven´t gotten that far. All I know, is that I need to work with languages and keep my Spanish in supreme condition for the REST of my life. I need to teach my kids Spanish someday, and use this incredible opportunity that Heavenly Father has given me to bless others. Mom, I´m super excited for the job that´s waiting for me. If you could do what you can to keep that open, I would be forever grateful. I just know the Lord needs me to do this. I haven´t really ever felt the driving desire for a career, but the Lord answers prayers. I would have NEVER thought about doing something with languages before my mission, but what are some ideas you have of things I could do?! :)

Okay so on Monday, we found a lady named Rosa. She let us pass into her house and we started to teach her lesson 1, the Restoration. We got to the 1st Vision, and it was my turn to teach it. I started to quote the first vision and her eyes got super big. She started to cry a little and I felt prompted that when I finished and after a few moments of silence to ask her how she felt. She cried a little more, and then said, "I´ve dreamed this since I was a little girl. I´ve always wondered what my dream meant, and now I know. I KNOW José Smith was a prophet." MIND.BLOWN. It was probably the most powerful lesson I´ve had in my whole mission. The Spirit was so strong, and I was reminded of the testimony that I have of Joseph Smith. I KNOW that he was a prophet of God and that it was through him that the church was restored. I know without a doubt that we are part of the only true church on the earth, the same church that Jesus Christ had. This verse has impacted me these past few weeks... It´s in the Bible in Mark 10:39.

"And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized."
Jesus was not baptized when he was a baby. He was baptized when he had a concept of right and wrong. He wasn´t baptized by a little bit of water or with fire (yes I have heard this here in Chile). He was baptized COMPLETELY in water. Jesus wasn´t baptized by just anybody. He looked for John the Baptist because he held the authority of God. There is only one way that we CAN and SHOULD be baptized, that will count and be the door by which we can enter into the kingdom of God. I know that He was and is the perfect example!

Well, happy birthday this week to Burgs and Aunt Shelly! I hope your days are fabulous!
The church is true. Share it, I dare ya :)
 
Love,
Hermana Peterson
At our big zone conference
My Zone in Cauquenes

The Leadership in Parral
Yolanda let us pick some of her grapes

Learning to spin yarn from wool

A yummy purple peach...Gramps Z, I think of you whenever I eat a peach!!

 
A tractor...enough said
 
I am going to miss them! Best Ward Mission Leader...ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment