Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3/24/14 Elder Peterson - Cheesy People

Well, hello my family how is everyone doing? Well, this past week was pretty good. No snow over the rest of the week so that was pretty nice! The weather actually got pretty good I was pretty excited about that. How is everyone doing? What is all the new stuff that is going on? There is only a week and a half left in the transfer over here. I can't believe how fast the time is flying by. It is pretty crazy for sure. I don't even know what to think about it. It is just going too fast that is for sure.
 
So this past week Elder Redmond and I had the chance to visit some potential investigators named Fritz and Chrismene and they are super nice. They were a referral from the French Elders and we were able to help them move into their new home in our area. It is a really nice house. Fritz and Chrismene are from Haiti and they both speak French. There is a couple of people in our ward who speak French so it is pretty cool. We were able to take one of those people from the ward Bro. Patenaude with us. He did a great job fellow shipping them with us because he is an IT guy and so is Fritz. So it is pretty cool to see the two of them get along pretty well. Besides the fact that Bro. Patenaude is 64 and Fritz is in his 30s....but what does that matter right?
 
This weekend the Capitol West elders, Elder Gomez and Elder Tilby, and Elder Redmond and I were able to help out with a ward activity. This ward activity was a dinner auction. This dinner auction was put on by the young men and the young women of the ward, and the funds raised for the activity are going to be donated for the summer camps that the youth will be going on. It was a lot of fun, and there was some pretty good food. We were able to help out with the auction part of the evening. It was pretty fun, I guess, but the food was great! Fritz was able to attend that night, and he really enjoyed himself. Something else that was really cool is there is a member of our ward whose name is Johnson Presmy. He is also from Haiti, and he speaks almost fluent French, but mostly Creole. Fritz and Johnson were able to hit it off really well. Turns out that Johnson and Fritz know a lot of the same people and it was truly a blessing from the Lord. We are excited for Fritz and Chrismene to continue to meet with us, and to also befriend the members of the ward.
 
Anyways, I am doing pretty well. I have everything that I need and I am enjoying all the things that I get to do and feel as a missionary. It is really fun to take a few moments during the week and reflect on who I used to be. I have changed a lot! My view of life has changed and my understanding of gospel principles and the scriptures has increased a lot. I don't know what I would do without the Gospel!!
 
Today has been pretty fun. We were able to have our Zone activity today and we played Scatter ball and we went and played capture the flag. Our team won, and it was pretty awesome. The way that we played the capture the flag is the teams all had flour bombs. The flour bombs were made out of nylon and flour and we had to hit people with them in order to get them out and put them in jail for capture the flag. Yeah, our team basically rocked. The zone activity was a combination of two zones, my old Zone, the Suitland Zone, and the one I am in now the Anacostia Zone. We really did have a great time. Something else that was awesome is we had a steak lunch. This steak lunch was super good, and one of the members of the Anacostia Ward was the person who made the steaks for us. It was probably one of the best zone activities that I attended. While I was up in Montgomery Village, we had a similar zone activity except in this zone activity it was really hot outside. We played capture the flag, and we used to squirt guns to help with the activity. That was probably one of my favorites as well. Oh, and I forgot to mention that we played a game of speed or lightning or knock out, whatever people call it. Surprisingly, I won. It was a lot of fun. And now I'm done. Ha ha sorry I went on a little tangent of rhyming.
 
Anyways, we have been having a hard time getting a hold of some of our investigators. It's kind of frustrating. Something that I don't think I've ever mentioned is that there are a lot of "cheesy" people out here in DC. To explain what cheesy means it basically is people who do not really keep their commitments that we leave with them, and they are really not interested in what we are telling them about, but they just kind of go with it. I hate to say that there are people like this in this world, but it is true. But, I am so grateful when we do find those people who are truly interested in learning more about the gospel. I have only had a small amount of people that fall under this category, but it is so rewarding to see the changes that happen in their lives.
 
Alright, that is about it for me. I am looking forward to this week. I made a promise to myself that this is going to be the hardest working week that I have ever had out here on my mission. I am going to be on top of things, I'm going to remember to call people, and I am going to be the best companion ever to my best companion ever, Elder Redmond. I know this week is going to be fantastic!! Well, I love you all. Hope you have a great week!
 
- Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment