Monday, April 14, 2014

4/14/14 Elder Peterson - Alright, the latest from Lexington Park...

 
Alright, I don't even know where to start! This past week has been  really fun and really crazy and just plain legit. I love the  Lexington Park Ward! The people here are so nice and reminds me so much of our ward back at home. I am just overwhelmed with excitement and love for everyone down here. This past week has been pretty crazy. I have learned a lot from my companion Elder Hunt. He is a goofball, but he is a really cool goofball. One of the things that I have learned from Elder Hunt is the importance of working with members. I have not been the best at working with members out here on the mission. I really don't know what it is that has caused me to not work with them well, but those days are over. Elder Hunt is a very great example of what missionary work truly is about. We need to work with members if we want to have success out here on our mission. Something that Elder Hunt and I have been able to develop for the members out here in the ward is what we call a personal mission plan. I'm sure that this is something that is done throughout the world in the church, but Elder Hunt and I have been able to incorporate the ward mission plan here with the personal mission plan. I have mentioned the ward mission plan before, but I'll remind everybody what the ward mission plan in the Lexington Park Ward is. It is only three words, pray, share, and invite. As I've been able to take the time to really think about the depth that the mission plan goes into, I have really learned a lot. Just think of it, the ward mission plan is really steps to sharing the gospel. First we have to show our faith by praying to Heavenly Father and ask him to bless us with missionary experiences. We also have to pray that we will be able to have the Spirit with us at all times. It is so important that we have the spirit or else we cannot help others to become converted."And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach" (D&C 42:14). Isn't this scripture inspiring? It truly helps us to understand how important the spirit is when we are wanting to share the gospel with our friends. That is the next point in the mission plan, SHARE. If we don't take the opportunities to share testimony people won't be able to feel the spirit. We really have to make sure that when we get prompted by the Spirit to share a principle of the gospel with someone, that we take that opportunity. Lastly, but most importantly, we have to INVITE. In Preach My Gospel, it talks about how if we do not invite people they can never progress. Invitations are really giving people opportunities to repent. I think that that's really cool. Elder Hunt and I were able to incorporate this into the personal mission plans that we made for the members of the church. The personal mission plan is laid out kind of like the ward mission plan except it's with three different categories: Vision, Goals, and Plans. The vision part of this is really the vision that everybody has for this year. It is what people think that they can accomplish in this year in missionary work or in their own lives. The goals are specific goals that people can set for the year in regards to their vision. And the plans are the minute details that are necessary to accomplish their goals and their vision for the year 2014. It's really all thanks to Elder Hunt that the personal mission plans or success. He truly is the mastermind behind this, besides Heavenly Father of course. We have been able to share this plan during the dinner appointments that we've had with members. It has been very successful. It is really cool to have the members open up to us and actually give us referrals! I am so grateful for the Lord's work, and how He is willing to trust us to figure out what we can do to best help the members in this ward.
I have really learned a lot this week. Something that I would like to share that I learned this week happened in the Gospel Principles class at church. Brother Weitzner was actually the teacher for the class that day and he said something that kind answered a question that I've been having here on the mission. Sometimes I feel like I have not been feeling the spirit as much as I should be. I look back to the beginning of my mission when I felt like I felt the spirit all the time! I look at now, and I kind of realized that I don't feel the spirit as much. I was really trying to figure out why this is the case. Brother Weitzner talked about micromanaging. He said that throughout life God will send His Spirit to us to micromanage our lives sometimes. He will help us to feel the spirit when we truly need it. I think about that and it helps me to understand this: I always have the spirit with me when I am being obedient and keeping the commandments. Even though I might not feel it all the  time, it does not mean that it is not with me. The more that I learned in this life, the more that I don't need the spirit to tell me what I need to do because I know what I need to do. This really applies a lot out here while I am serving my mission. At the beginning of my mission, I needed the spirit to tell me what to do, and I needed to feel it more then I need to now, because I had to learn from the Spirit to help me to know what to do. Heavenly Father trusts me. It's really hard for me to grasp that because of how imperfect I am. I feel like I need to be feeling the promptings of the Spirit at all times because I am not confident that the decisions I make are not in the Spirit. I need to overlook this and realize that I am making decisions with the Spirit. Just because I don't feel it doesn't mean that my decisions are against God's will. Just a little something for everyone to think about.
Well, I sure do love you all! I hope they have a wonderful week and I can't wait to tell you about the wonderful things that are going to happen this week.
~Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment