Monday, April 7, 2014

4/7/14 Elder Peterson - Loving Lexington Park

What's up everyone!

Well this past week it's been super sweet! I really enjoy being in
Lexington Park. This ward is super awesome! I don't even know where to
start! So, this past week we had transfers and we had to drive all the
way down here to Lexington Park. From the Visitor Ctr., Lexington Park
is two hours away. It's like traveling to the cabin basically. It's
kind of crazy. But, I've started to appreciate how much I've been
blessed out here on my mission. The drive is nothing to me anymore. I
remember being back at home and not really liking to go on long
drives. I'm pretty sure that I have traveled in a car out here an
equivalent of 10 times the amount I have driven in a car my whole
life. Now, being in the car is normal. My new companion Elder Hunt is
from Twin Falls Idaho and he is really cool. I know that this transfer
is going to be really fun! This is Elder Hunt's last transfer, so I'm
only going to be with him for one transfer but it is going to be a
really amazing one. What's cool is Elder Hunt has actually served down
here before, so he knows a lot about the area already. It makes it
pretty easy because we are whitewashing it.

Anyways, the night that we got here we went and visited with Bishop.
He is a stud! I have really enjoyed the few moments that I had with
him because he is super missionary minded. His name is Bishop Low and
he has been the bishop for a a while now and he has really been doing
a great job down here. He gave us a lot of ideas for us to focus on
this transfer, and that ward mission plan is very simple, but it is
really awesome. The ward mission plan is three words: pray, share, and
invite. I know that as we focus on these three things, and as we visit
with members and help them to understand the ward mission plan, we will be
able to have a lot of success here. Also Brother Weitzner is the man!
He has been the ward mission leader down here in Lexington Park for
about five years or six years. He is a recent convert as of 2006, I
believe, and he has really embraced the Gospel in his life. He knows
the ward backwards and forwards, and will help us out with anything!
And he makes really good food, which kind of helps a lot.

So, this past week has been pretty slow because we don't really have a
lot of work to do around here just yet. But we were able to go to
Brother Weitzner's home for both Saturday and Sunday's general
conference sessions. He invited a whole bunch of people from the ward
over so we got to meet a few of them and get to know them more. It
was really a great time! All I do want to say though is that the
priesthood session was my absolute favorite! The talks were inspired
and I learned so much from each and everyone of them. I am definitely
going to download them and I'm going to listen to them and read them
and study them all the time. I would have to say that if I had to pick
a favorite... Well actually I can't pick a favorite because they were
all super sweet. I just felt so inspired and I know that this church
is true! It is truly led by a prophet of God even Thomas S. Monson. It
is also led by many inspired men and women who know our needs and our
interests.

 I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a member of
this church. I am also grateful that I can be out here on a mission
and share the gospel with others. That's truly our mission in this
life. We have the gospel, and we need to share it. There is no way
around it, every opportunity that we have to share the gospel is one
that we need to cherish and take advantage of. We have people pass us
by on the street all the time, and sometimes we are really scared to
talk to them. We we cannot be afraid, we have Jesus Christ on our
side.

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before
your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my
Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to
bear you up." (D&C 84:88)

This is Jesus Christ himself speaking to all of us! He is with
us. We cannot fear man, we can only fear God. When we fear man we miss
out on the opportunities to share the gospel with others. Something
that I've learned so much out here on my mission is that we can't let
the opportunities pass by us. I hate to say it, but I have missed
some of those opportunities. It is really hard sometimes to talk with people,
but we cannot fear.

I love this gospel, and I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I am looking
forward to this upcoming week, for we truly are going to hasten the
work down here in Lexington Park! I look forward to hearing from you
this next week. Stay safe, and have fun.

Love,
Elder Peterson
The Anacostia and Capitol Zones
We are rocking them blue ties!!

Have to have a silly one!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment