Monday, May 19, 2014

5/19/14 Elder Peterson - What's up Everyone?

Elder Farley, Elder Hansen and Me before Night of Music and Inspiration

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDWd_3i5rmk  Here is a link to a group of us singing "I Often Go Walking" just for the mothers for Mother's Day!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LJ_CNpEjw  Here is a link to me singing "Firm in the Faith"

How is everyone feeling today? Alright, so I have a new companion. His name is Elder Ortega and he is pretty sweet. He actually just came from Montgomery Village which was one of my old areas. He was working with a lot of the same people that I was working with while I was up there. He is from Barcelona Spain and he's going to teach me a thing or two about Spanish hopefully.

So here goes some things from this past week. I think one of the greatest things that happened this past week was the mission conference that we had with Elder Ballard. I learned a lot from him and I was able to take a few notes on it. I'm going to put those in the email so that everybody can see what I learned.
 
These are all of the notes it took on his talk.

Elder M. Russell Ballard:

- Back in the times when he was a missionary, the way that the found people was by tracting and street meetings. He said,"this is where I really found out how much I didn't know."
- Preach the Gospel
- if you want to baptize more people, you need to talk to more people.
- We need to set a personal goal to talk to 10 people each day. 20 people per companionship
- there is no one single silver bullet of a door approach.
- we just need to testify, internalize the lessons in PMG Chapter 3, and then share it with people!
- when we get referrals from the members we should look at it as a bonus. As full time missionaries, our duty is to first learn the doctrine, and then talk to people.
- I NEED TO HAVE BETTER COMMUNICATION WITH MY COMPANION!!!!
- the number 1 issue that is most important in the process of conversion is me, the missionary.
- How do you learn how to teach? Teach...
- we need to teach the members of the church so we can become better teachers
- Why do people not continue to learn the Gospel?
- we need to check for understanding in order to help our investigators to continue to want to learn more.
- we can't go into the question phase of teaching until we teach them.
-We need to ask questions about what we have taught, not anything else.
- we will lose the second discussion if the first discussion wasn't understood.
- keep things simple
- how can we keep going when things are hard? Just think of Gethsemane...
- conversion and reactivation starts by what they feel, not by what they know.
- you do not need to be a great orator to teach, you need to have a good heart and a great spirit in order to teach.
 
I hope that a lot of those notes make sense. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask me I'll explain my notes. All in all the things that I learned is that we need to talk to more people! He expressed that it is important to work with members, but if we are sitting around waiting for the members to give us referrals we are not getting anything done. It is not only the responsibility of the members to find people, we have to as well. Elder Ortega and I set a goal to talk to 20 people every day. We are going to do our very best and hopefully we will see miracles from our efforts.
 
I am pretty excited for this new transfer ahead! We are going to have a lot of people to teach. I'm excited for an appointment we have tonight with a couple named Monica and Gary. We are hoping to help them to recognize the blessings of the gospel. And how exactly are we going to do that? We are going to teach them about the Gospel. Elder Ballard also expressed that we need to teach simply and directly. We can't dance around and try to get to know them very well. We can get to know them well but I emphasize the VERY in that sentence. It is important for us to find out more about the people that we are visiting with, but that does not mean we have to take 30 minutes to do so. As missionaries, we are blessed with the gift of discernment and we can find out more about people in five minutes then most people can find out in 20. That is one of the blessings of being a full-time missionary.

Well, that's about it for me. I love you all and I hope that you have a wonderful week!
-Elder Peterson

On our way to the Crime and Punishment Museum

Pictures at the Crime and Punishment Museum

 

Out to eat with Bro. Weitzner - always a great time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment