Tuesday, May 27, 2014

5/26/14 Elder Peterson - This Week Was Awesome!

Well, this week was pretty legit. I honestly have so much to tell you about this past week and I don't even know where to start.

First off, I wanted to ask if Caleb got my card for his birthday? I sure hope that he did. Once again I want to tell him that I love him so much and I can't believe that he's eight! He's growing up way too fast. It was awesome to see the pictures of his birthday party. It looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure that all of his friends appreciated Dad's cooking....haha

Well I want to share a few miracles that happened this week. This very first one is one that I have learned so much from. As missionaries,we come here to serve people. That is what we are called to do, we are called to serve. On Tuesday this past week, Elder Ortega and I were helping one of our members with her lawn. After we got done with her lawn, we decided that we were going to go around the neighborhood and see if anybody else needed their lawn mowed. As we were driving down the street we saw a man sitting out on his porch. The yard was looking a little shaggy and so we decided to stop and go ask if they could use some help with their lawn. The man sitting on the porch went inside and got his brother who came out and greeted us. We asked him if we could mow his lawn and he said absolutely! Turns out that earlier that morning he was trying to mow the lawn with their lawnmower and it had broken down. He told us that we were sent from God and he was praying for a miracle! It truly is a testimony builder to find out that you were an answer to someone's prayers. Hasn't happened very often out here on my mission, but every time that it has, I have felt the Spirit.

So, we got right to work and we are able to talk to them a little bit about what we do as missionaries. After we were done we asked if we could go in and share our message about Jesus Christ with them. They agreed and we were able to talk with the man's wife and his mother. He was busy with some things for work and so he was not able to sit down in the lesson. We were able to share with them the message of the restoration and invited them to read the Book of Mormon. They said that they would and they had a few questions for us about baptism and why we would invite them to be baptized again. We were able to explain to them about the priesthood authority of God and how our church has it. We were able to set up an appointment for this Friday and we are really looking forward to it.
 
Now for the next miracle that happened this week. I think that I have mentioned her before, but we were able to teach Andrea Walker this past Thursday. When we teach her we go over to the home of the Krugmans, a family in our ward. Brother Krugman works with Andrea and that is how she was introduced to the Gospel. We were able to teach her the Plan of Salvation and we were able to have our former Bishop, Brian Lowe, be at the lesson with us as well. It was a powerful meeting. It was so powerful that it took three hours! Andrea is super awesome. She is so prepared to have the Gospel in her life! At the end of the lesson we invited her to be baptized on June 28th. It a great day to be baptized, that's for sure. She excepted that date, and we are looking forward to her becoming a member of the church. She also came to church this Sunday and she loved it so much! I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have had this far to be able to know Andrea and to be one of the missionaries to bring the gospel into her life. On a sidenote, she is hilarious! She reminds me so much of Nicole Jones, who is one of the people I taught while I was in the DC 3rd Ward. Elder Ortega and I are truly blessed to know her.

Lastly, we were able to talk to another one of our investigators Lauren Wilson this past week about baptism. At first she was a little hesitant, and she had a few obstacles in the way. But she found a really awesome quote on Facebook that gave her the answer that she needed. It said "If you change nothing, nothing will change." She took it to heart and agreed to be baptized on July 5th. Please keep her and Andrea in you prayers! She also came to church this past week, and she had was able to sit with one of the members of our church, Susan, who recently got baptized this past year. Lexington Park Ward is the best!!
 
All I  have left to say is I love the gospel! I am so blessed to be a part of this church and to have the knowledge that I'm going to be with my family forever! I love my family so much. And I love being a missionary too. A quick shout out to Hailey, Shayden, Burgandy, McKenzi and Landon! Great job at making it through high school. I am proud to be your cousin!

Well, that's about it for me. I hope that everyone has a wonderful week! I also hope that everyone has fun this summer now that school is out. Stay out of trouble, and have fun swimming.
 
Love,
Elder Peterson

At the 3 Mission Conference with Elder Ballard, I ran into Sis. Westbrook who is a missionary in the Baltimore, Maryland mission. (She is a friend from back home in Mesa, AZ!)

No comments:

Post a Comment