Monday, December 1, 2014

12/1/14 Elder Peterson - Tamar Got Baptized!!

Happy Monday everyone! I can't believe that it's already December! Only 24 more days until Christmas, and I am getting super excited.

This past week was really awesome. And I want to tell you all about it. To start off, I received a call from Elder Wilcox. Elder Wilcox was my former companion in the DC 2nd Ward. He informed me that one of my former investigators Tamar S. was getting baptized on Sunday. He mentioned that it wasn't completely set and that he was going to call and let me know in a couple days. I was pretty excited. Then, on Friday, I did receive a call from him letting me know that Tamar was going to be baptized. He told me that Tamar was wanting ME to baptize him. We didn't know what to say, it actually took me by surprise. I accepted, and on Sunday Elder Lim and I were able to go up into DC and attend his baptism. It was such an amazing event. Elder Wilcox and I were working with Tamar for a few months. He has made so much progress in his life, it is a miracle! It was pretty funny to watch Tamar during the start of the baptismal program. It looked like he was in a spiritual coma or something. When we were asking questions it took them a couple minutes to realize that we are talking to him. It's kind of hard to describe over email, but it was really hilarious.
I got to baptize Tamar...truly amazing!

 
One of the miracles during the baptism that was really amazing was the fact that he was actually able to physically be baptized. He only has one leg, and it was really hard for him to get into the baptismal font. But, we are able to manage. It truly was time for him to make this covenant with our Heavenly Father. It was also really cool to be able to see some of the ward members that I haven't seen in a few weeks. Things seem to be going really well up in my last area.

Also, this past week was Thanksgiving! And boy was it so much fun. Thanksgiving morning, Elder Lim and I were able to go and play football. It was really fun. One of our investigators Nkosi was able to come with us. He is really good at football. I was amazed at how laid-back the turkey bowl game went. Everyone had a good time, and my team won. That's what made it extra fun. Life is always good when you win..:)

After football Elder Lim and I were able to go over to the Verkerke's home for some turkey.
We got over there a little bit early to help them out with preparing the food. When things got settled down we are able to play a couple rounds of Uno. The food really was delicious. We enjoyed going over there a lot. The Verkerkes are an amazing family.
Thanksgiving with the Verkerkes


Lastly, for preparation day, I was able to go to the Arlington Cemetery. This is an event that happens to the missionaries who are ending their missions soon. I guess I am one of them. The Arlington cemetery is now one of my favorite places to visit. It is outside of our mission, but it was still awesome. We were able to watch the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and that was a neat experience. Life is just so great!

Elder Lim and Me at Arlington
I am so blessed to have this opportunity to serve a mission. I am learning so much! I am so thankful for the Gospel. It is such a gift in my life. I am thankful for the Savior! This is a wonderful time of the year. It is a time where we can think about the birth of Jesus Christ. He really is the true meaning of Christmas! I invite everyone who is reading this to check out christmas.mormon.org. It really is a cool place with some great resources to help us to remember the true meaning of Christmas!
 
I love you all! Have a great week!
Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment